Care for HVAC systems in between tune-ups
It’s almost time to call the heating technician for your HVAC system’s annual check-up. But just because you are between service calls does not mean the equipment should be ignored.
Your role in maintaining your air conditioning or heating system is just as important as the job of the service technician who performs your annual maintenance inspection. Keep tune-ups quick and costly repairs to a minimum with these simple tips for year-round maintenance.
• Change your furnace and air conditioning filters often. This is especially important during the summer when dust and allergens circulate.
• Remove plants, fallen branches and debris from outdoor HVAC equipment. Objects too close can prevent adequate air flow to the equipment.
• Indoors, vacuum registers and air vents regularly. Heating contractors say simple dust and dirt cause almost half of their service calls.
• Move furniture and drapes away from registers.
• If something seems off about your HVAC equipment, call for service early. Odd sounds and smells could be warning you of a bigger problem.